Wednesday, May 13, 2009

That First Day is a Doosey!!




Wow, so I completed my first day and I didn't get fired! What an accomplishment :D

S0 my day started at 5:45am. I got up and put on "business casual" clothes. Is it sad that I had to ask what that meant? I don't have my uniform yet because my Orientation is on Saturday so I got to wear pants. San Antonio + Pants = Suck!

I got to the park and met Katie at Security. Since I got the job, I couldn't believe it. I figured that once I started, I'd be like wow, I'm here. But no. I walk in and see these five whales in one of the back pools and I say to myself, wow, I still don't believe it. Haha. 

So I learn to do "breakout" which is getting the fish which have thawed overnight and putting them into each whales' buckets in the correct amounts. It's....A LOT....of fish! So after we put the fish in the correct buckets, the buckets had to go in the freezer and everything had to be thoroughly cleaned. 

Then I got to watch breakfast for the whales whose names are: Ky, Keet, Tuar (the boys), Una, and Tikara (the girls). After breakfast they cleaned their teeth and then got urine samples from Una which Katie then threw to me. I now can check holding Killer Whale urine of my Bucket List. 

After that, I got to put on my Shamu wetsuit for the first time!!!! I got in the pool to do a couple dives to the bottom in the back pools and clean the class in the main show pool. It was 52 degrees. Yowzas!! They tell me I'll get used to it, I dunno about that :)

While we were doing a feeding we had a PR come in which is like a personalized back stage tour. This one was for Injured Iraq War Vets which was really cool. They got to get real close to the whales in the back pool, learn some behavioral stuff, and take pictures with them. 

The park hasn't opened for summer schedule yet so we're still closed M-W. On the closed days, we do educational shows for local schools. It's a short show with just a few breaches (jumps), and other normal tricks. The kids LOVED it and went ballistic. Haha. Really cool to hear them all scream except when I realized that I was as giddy as them to watch this simple show. Haha.


After that we had lunch and then did the main show rehearsal. It was really interesting to watchthe Entertainment aspect of the show. Watching the trainers talk to the Entertainment staff about the timing with the songs and if the songs worked with the tricks and stuff. Really cool to see that side of it. 
By 3:30 I was EXHAUSTED. Apparently, being in a wetsuit all day in 80 degree temperatures will do that to you. Haha. 

So I had a really amazing time. I can't believe I get to go back tomorrow!!!

2 comments:

  1. Gosh I know I have said this like a million times already but I'm going to keep saying how incredibly freaking JEALOUS I am of your summer job! Miss you and love you tons!!! By the way you look pretty fine in your wet suit;) Tell Shamu hey for me!! Remember SWIM AWAY!! haha XOXO Maggie

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look - I don't have the words - in your wet suit. I see a 5 year old gushing with delight.

    You're there! You're REALLY there! :D

    ReplyDelete