Monday, May 18, 2009

Man I'm Having Fun!!

So today ended my sixth day as a Killer Whale Apprentice Trainer and wow, I can't believe that this is my job! My days start early and last long but the entire time I am in awe that I am living my dream. 

The past few days have been a lot of fun! I am trying to keep up and learn more so that I am better able to help out around the pool. I'm getting to know the staff better and everyone's so much fun! They are all very fun, nice, and helpful in trying to get me caught up. As far as getting around San Antonio, I know how to get from my house to SeaWorld and back and that's it. Haha. Thank God for my GPS. But the city is a lot more hilly than I thought which makes for really nice scenery. It's a really clean city. What I DON'T like is that there are no sno-ball stands and no Qdoba's :(. I think I'll be okay though :D


Saturday I had New Employee Orientation. I was the only Animal Trainer in the class so it was fun to talk to everyone else about what I get to do. We got to do a tour of the park and I finally got my uniform, name tag, and belt! We get to put whatever we want under our name on our nametag, so I put "LSU Tiger". Gotta rep that BR!! (Sorry about the backwards picture!)

Sunday was a really fun day because I was in my first Shamu show ever. There's a part where a few trainers stand on a bridge at the back of the pool and clap to the song. So I got to go up and the camera came on us and I could see myself and the other trainers on the big screen and wow. I just smiled from ear to ear because I just couldn't believe that I was there. Yea it wasn't a really big part in the show, but dreaming of this for 16 years and then seeing myself up there, it's a big deal for me. 

Today was a little more laid back because we don't have any shows so we got to have a lot more sessions with the whales and a couple play times with them. We got to dance with big stuffed animals in front of them and then jump in the pool next to them and throw them fish. Very surreal to be 3ft from an 8,000lb whale!!!

So it feels good to learn more and more every day and be allowed to help out more. I'm excited to learn and contribute even more! Miss all you guys back in BR!!

P.S. - I misspelled the names of the whales in an earlier post so here are the corrections:

Boys - Kyuquot, Tuar, and Keet
Girls - Takara and Unna

4 comments:

  1. You got to dance with big stuffed animals? Hahaha... Can't wait to see that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Jake forget sno ball, that's what snow beach and snow cone places are for lol. As for Qdoba, that's why you have Taco Cabana, Chuy's and much more. I won't spoil what else is there since I think it's cool when you accidentally bump into new spots. I'm glad you're getting acclimated. Let me know if you explore Austin anytime soon!

    Cammie:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. effin a awesome!! Congrats and enjoy enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. wher make the orca wetsuit for the park

    ReplyDelete